Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Blogging in the Classroom

By Wednesday, post an idea for how you might use a blog in your classroom.
           One of my goals for this class is to implement some of the latest technologies into my third grade classroom effectively. As I learn the ropes of using a blog, I reflected on how I could successfully use blogging within my room. Currently my students are really starting to use the writing process: prewriting, rough draft, revising, editing, and finally, publishing. At one point in the writing process they need to hold a peer writing conference, in which one person reads and the other gives at least one positive comment and one revising suggestion about the written piece. This proves very challenging for students, as they do not always remember what their partner read and/or they do not give a very meaningful suggestion.
            I would like to use blogging as an outlet for students to work through the writing process and eventually showcase their published work. Specifically, I would like to form small groups of three or four students to act as a team in revising each person’s work. Each child would submit his/her rough draft, and the other members of the team would come up with at least one compliment and one revising suggestion. After the child has made the necessary revisions, he/she could post the published piece.
            As Richardson (2010) points out, many students do not realize, especially elementary age ones, how to properly post to a blog, so initially I would post my own ‘rough draft’ for all students to reflect on and help revise. I would also show examples of various levels of meaningful, helpful posts, so that students know exactly what is expected of them when giving feedback.  
            In using a blog to help teach students about the writing process, students are becoming more involved in each other’s writing. By posting to a blog, students need to work hard to come up with meaningful compliments and feedback. Toffler (1980) argues that education is becoming more collaboration-driven as society moves through this technological age, which is what the purpose of this blog would be: working together to create published written work. This also gives me the chance to really monitor the students’ writing progress and ability to give constructive feedback.  I could also make the blog accessible to parents, so that they have a chance to see their own child’s progress. Overall, it seems that blogs provide an innovative way for students to work together and for parents to stay connected with school.

Richardson, W. (2010). Blogs, wikis, podcasts, and other powerful web tools for classrooms (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.
Toffler, A. (1980). The third wave. New York: Bantam Books.

8 comments:

  1. I really like your idea of using a blog as a method to revise peer writing. I think that the students would truly enjoy that method of revision and parents would really enjoy being incorporated in the classroom as well. The students would probably look forward to checking their blogs and seeing student, parent and teacher comments. Keeping all the work on a computer would help the students build their typing, computer and internet savviness. I would be surprised if you received resistance from students using this method. I would actually anticipate some students that might typically pull away from the writing process, take this assignment and complete it whole-heartedly. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the idea of using a blog as a writing workshop is a natural fit. Being able to go back to the comments will be very helpful for your students. It will also encourage students to put more thought into their feedback that "nice job", "liked your paper" and other vague comments. Being able to receive feedback from teachers and adults on their writing will also be beneficial. One of the biggest challenges to teaching writing is providing timely, ongoing and consistent feedback to students. This is a great way to some help with that. Maybe you could ask parents or other adults to sign up as a full member of a specific writing workshop group.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One suggestion might be to provide a rubric for constructive feedback on your blog, especially for "other" community members.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had not thought of creating a rubric for constructive feedback for other members, but it would be extremely beneficial for parents. Not only would they be able to comment in a helpful way, but they can see what criteria I use to grade students' feedback as well! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found this blog today on blogging poetry with 3rd & 4th graders. Thought you might be interested.
    http://my-patio-poetry.yolasite.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the idea of using a blog to help with the writing process. Learning the process can be so cut and dry, adding the blog componenet will add some excitement to it. The only concern I would have is how the students comment to eachother, especially if you intend parents to see the blog as well. I am sure that if you create a rubric and discuss constructive criticism with the students you will see great results. I am excited to see how it works out and may give it a try myself. Great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an excellent way to monitor student progress. I think the students will enjoy posting and seeing their work on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. An exellent plan for the use of your blog. Peer editing and revising can be a very effective teaching tool. I would even recommend introducing the use of a (simplified) rubric for the students. This can then also be used for self-evaluation purposes

    ReplyDelete